Monday, August 29, 2016

Reading Notes: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs), Part A

Bibliography: The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs, Unit 1 found here.

Notes:
I really enjoy reading fables, especially because of the animal characters. Every different animal has its own distinct characteristics, talents and hindrances. For example, lions are universally feared, foxes are regarded as clever tricksters, and mice are generally friendly. I would like to write my story with human characters, but perhaps using similar characteristics to create distinct personalities. I really like the morals at the end of each story as well. I was surprised to notice similarities between some of the morals in the stories and modern stories. The Lion's Share reminded me immediately of George Orwell's political anti-communist novel, Animal Farm. The story The Hare with Many Friends told the saddest story, in my opinion. A seemingly happy social butterfly realizes that his friends are only superficial, and this realization is overwhelmingly lonely. I think I'd like to include a character like the Hare in that story, but with a happier outlook, and certainly less lonely. I'd also like to include an antagonist that gets braver as the story goes on, much like the fox in The Fox and the Lion. I can't help but laugh at the dog who drops his food into the pond in The Dog and the Shadow. I would like to write a character like that for comic relief. I think these stories are sparking my interest, and I'm excited to put some ideas on paper.

Illustration of The Dog and the Shadow by Walter Crane. Found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment