Sunday, August 28, 2016

Growth Mindset

I had not heard of Carol Dweck nor the concept of Growth Mindset before this week. I have, however, had similar discussions with my father about education systems and the way we reward students. I tend to struggle with a fixed mindset. School was very easy for me for most of my life, and when I began struggling with new concepts, I felt stupid if I did not understand something immediately. It really started to affect me very negatively, so much so that I was often quite unhappy with myself. I think what I started to focus my energy on is the idea that it is alright, even good, to be wrong. Being wrong presents an opportunity to learn and improve, which is something we should always want to do. I like that Carol extends the definition of growth mindset beyond the classroom, and into relationships and personal life. This is a neat concept, and I hope it motivates me to change some habits. Something that I am focusing on is the concept of happiness. I like to ask myself, "am I happy?" and, "am I bringing happiness to others?". These questions help remind me that there is very little that I can control, and that everything is going to be alright. 
This image speaks directly to me. Rest is vital to maintaining a positive mindset. Found on Laura Gibbs' Growth Mindset Meme Page

2 comments:

  1. Thorpe, I decided to comment on this post for my second comment this week because I think the Growth Mindset really applies to our major! I think that creative majors are better at offering growth mindsets and I'm not sure why that is. Maybe just because the structure is so different, and it's hard to give your stereotypical tests over more abstract material. I also like that you addressed how she applies it to personal relationships. This is kind of a hard concept for me to grasp, but I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that you try to ask if you are happy/bringing happiness. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest cat photo ever! Makes me want a kitty. I often feel the same way, if I don’t understand something right away. I’m furiously stubborn and will drive myself crazy and everyone else around me just to understand it. I once took half semester of Philosophy and was convinced that I could pass the course with a “A” and after of consistently failing every test, quiz and paper. I decided to call it quits, I literally told people that I will beat this class. I’m such a lunatic when I don’t understand something.

    ReplyDelete