Thursday, October 20, 2016

Week 9 Reading Notes: Cherokee Myths Part A

I chose to read the Cherokee Myths Unit because I am one very, very tiny part Cherokee.
The story of the creation of the world is unique and interesting. I especially like the idea that the underworld is the same as their world, but in opposite seasons, and they know this because the water is warmer than the winter air and colder than the summer air. To me, that communicates a truly creative sense of balance in an environmentally conscious culture.
I like that the story of discovering fire uses only animal characters to retrieve the fire. It signifies their strong belief in and respect of nature. I love that the water spider was the ultimate hero, successfully retrieving the fire. I did not see that coming!
The myths about the sun and moon are elaborate and thoughtful. The stories range from the playing of games to frogs attempting to devour the sun and moon. Also, pointing at a rainbow will cause joint inflammation; who knew?!
In the Deluge, like any good flood story, everyone dies, save one man and his family, but not before drowning the family dog.
The Cherokee obviously believed that tobacco had healing powers, and smoking was a large part of their culture. The story of how the hummingbird was able to retrieve the tobacco plant and seeds, and ultimately save an old woman's life, reinforces the idea that every piece of nature is important, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant. This makes me want to write a story about an underdog!
The rabbit is depicted as a clever trickster, and is ample inspiration for an antagonist. He can trick anyone, and he is a survivalist. This will make him a formidable opponent for my underdog. The hare seems to steal things from people by tricking them. This gives me the idea of making the antagonist a thief of some kind.
Wow! How the terrapin fools the rabbit with his own cunning wit in a version of the tortoise and the hare! Now I've got the inspiration for my underdog protagonist.

File:The Tortoise and the Hare - Project Gutenberg etext 19994.jpg
Photo of The Tortoise and the Hare by Milo Winter from Aesop for Children, found on Wikimedia, here.

Bibliography: Part A of the Cherokee Myths Unit, Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney, found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment