Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Week 5 Reading Notes: Part A - Persian Tales

I decided to read the Persian Tales this week because I have a friend who was born in Iran, and I would like to see if maybe he has heard these fairy tales growing up. I can't say that I know much about Persian tales or folklore, so I was excited to read and identify similarities between these stories and the ones I read growing up.
I love the immediate jump to "let's go and fight" in the Wolf and the Goat story. The author really wasted no time in letting the reader know what the big conflict was going to be. I like the happiness of the story; the baby goats don't get eaten, the goat outwits the wolf, and the baby goats are all reunited.
Wow, the story of the City of Nothing-in-the-World was fascinating! I love how imaginative the author was. The girl's story gets more and more farfetched as it continues. I feel like the author was playful in how the girl's adventure is wild and included her climbing into a melon and a tree growing on a chicken's back. I want to write something just as outlandish.
Everyone is so kind and sympathetic in the story of Susku and Mushu. It's a real tragedy that Susku dies after such a happy beginning to a story. I love how all the characters introduced show solidarity for Mushu's loss. It seems like the whole world was affected by Susku's death.
The story of the Boy who Became a Bulbul escalated quickly! I can't imagine a scenario where I would make a bet with my dad, and the loser of the bet gets his head chopped off. However, beheading was a common punishment for many things in that part of the world, so maybe this was only a slight exaggeration. Either way, I am happy the boy got his revenge, and his sister got candy.
The Wolf-Aunt story is a great way to convince men to listen to their wives. I think it is a good lesson to learn that some things are too good to be true.
The stories all start and end with the same line, I find that quite interesting as well.
File:Goan Bird Red-whiskered Bulbul 1.JPG
Photo of Red-whiskered Bulbul bird by Nilesh Waradkar, found here.

Bibliography: Persian Tales translated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer, and illustrated by Hilda Roberts, found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment