Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Week 13 Reading Notes: Russian Fairy Tales Part B

In The Witch Girl I was surprised that the witch was someone's daughter. I just assumed that she would be a witch that lives in the woods on her own or with other witches. It reminds me of the Salem Witch Trail time period in the American northeast. I could write a story with a similar plot, but set in Salem. Also, I wonder why no one had thought to stay awake and fight the witch when she came. Only the Cossack thought of this.
The priest's son is an unsuspecting hero in The Headless Princess. I could write about someone who sees a power figure doing something evil behind closed doors. Then he has to race to save everyone before the evil person can get to him. I like the elements of magic that his teacher showed him to use. It could be a metaphor for 'knowledge is power.' And at the end, even the princess's father wanted nothing to do with a witch. Witches must have been a big deal in Russia.
The Warlock makes me feel like everyone in Russia wants to evade death and keep all of their wealth. I could write about someone who sells their soul to live forever and be rich, but they get outsmarted by a child with a cross. Or it could be about three witches who try to steal an old man's wealth, but he outsmarts them and gets to live forever.
The Fox-Physician continued with the 'foxes are tricksters' theme. The old man should not be too sad though, so long as he can get back up the cabbage to heaven. It seems to me that there was no rhyme or reason to the story. I cannot figure out if there is a moral or lesson to be learned. Maybe the lesson is to not trust a fox with your loved one's remains.
I like the communication with people in the afterlife in The Fiddler in Hell. I could use that to help me write a story where someone visits a loved one in the afterlife and they receive some sort of divine assistance. That could help me write part two of Aaron Discovers the World.

File:Moujik and family.jpg
Moujik and Family, artist unknown. Found on Wikimedia, here.

Bibliography: Russian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralston, found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment