Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Week 11 Reading Notes: Alice in Wonderland Part B

The conversations with fantastical characters are made up of nonsense, jumping hastily from one topic to another, seemingly without rhyme or reason. Perhaps I could use that writing style to introduce important information through a seemingly mad character. Maybe the character will speak what seems like nonsense, but is actually important. The dormouse being asleep inspires me to write in that a security guard has fallen asleep, and that gives Aaron a moment to slip past and into uncharted territory. The Queen of Hearts inspires me to model a character from the Mind of the Six after her. Someone should be so ruthless as to rule with fear in a dystopian society. I might model a character after the Cheshire Cat, so that Aaron may have a companion that appears and disappears at random, possibly with some important information about what to do next. The trial scene makes me consider writing in a trial before the Mind of the Six. That setting could be where an important piece of plot takes place. The ending of Alice in Wonderland, the part where Alice wakes from her dream, makes me consider writing that Aaron escapes and frees all of the people of Carcera, only to wake up from a dream and find he is still being held captive there. He might search for the same door whence he escaped, only to find nothing there. Despite the very different themes and writing styles, I have produced some very useful ideas from the Alice in Wonderland story that might help me in writing my story. If anything, Alice in Wonderland inspires creativity and imagination.


File:Alice par John Tenniel 30.png
Alice playing croquet with a flamingo and hedgehog, illustrated by John Tenniel, found on Wikimedia Commons, here. I chose this illustration because I found it hilarious that she would have to use a flamingo and hedgehog to play croquet. What a mad world!


Bibliography: Story of Alice in Wonderland, part B, by Lewis Carroll, found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment