Thursday, October 27, 2016

Wek 10 Storytelling: Aaron Discovers the World

Aaron had been staring at the spot above his bed for what felt like an eternity when the robotic voice boomed through the loudspeakers in the hallway. "Report to the dining quad in five minutes for first meal," the voice rang out, as it had done every morning as far back as Aaron could remember. He sat up in his bed and gave a slight jump when his feet touched the cold concrete floor. Aaron lived in Barrack 4, one of the five barracks in the city of Carcera. There was a great war that wiped out millions of people. Survivors created Carcera as the last remaining city, and the people built a large dome to protect the inhabitants. The Mind of the Six, the self-appointed city leaders, ruled with an iron fist. They controlled every aspect of life inside the dome. The Mind of the Six forced the citizens of Carcera to work long hours, and they harshly punished all dissenters. They created fiercely loyal robots to enforce their harsh laws, while they watched from the comfort of their private tower. The Mind of Six claimed that the world outside of the dome was poisonous and could not support life. The inhabitants of Carcera struggled to survive, while the Mind of the Six reaped the benefits of their hard work.
Aaron believed that the Mind of the Six were hiding something, and they were abusing their power to keep it a secret. He could remember his parents' stories of life before the war. They described the outside world as having beautiful greenery, glistening bodies of water and enormous mountains. Aaron's parents disappeared when he was young, presumably taken by the Mind of the Six. He was determined to overthrow the Mind of the Six and release the inhabitants of Carcera from their oppressive grip.
As he made his way to the dining quad, Aaron noticed a guard robot interrogating someone about their missing ID badge. He took the opportunity to disappear down the utility hallway that he had discovered a week prior. As he explored, he found an underground path that led to the outermost wall of the dome. Aaron followed the path of the wall around the city and found an old door. He opened the door and let out a loud gasp. He had found a path to the outside world.
It was beautiful. He stepped outside and inhaled deeply, halfway expecting to perish immediately. Nothing happened. He exhaled and took another breath. Again, nothing happened. This confirmed everything he thought he knew about Carcera and the Mind of the Six. Aaron could not believe it. He pinched his arm to make sure it was not a dream. Overcome with excitement, he began to run. Aaron ran at a dead sprint as long as he could, and when his lungs started burning he slowed to a stop. He turned and gazed at the walls of the dome city from outside. His happy expression turned into one of despair. "This isn't right," Aaron thought. "Someone has to... I have to do something about this." He thought about the people suffering inside the city, and he decided to bring down the Mind of the Six and set free the people of Carcera.
Aaron made his way back to the door. Before stepping back inside, he turned and gave one last awe-inspired look at the beautiful world he had just discovered. As he retraced his steps, he began devising a plan to reveal the truth about the world to the inhabitants of Carcera and bring down the Mind of the Six.
To be continued...

File:End of the world prison.jpg
Photo: End of the World Prison by Louis Argerich, found on Wikimedia, here.
I chose this photo to represent the cold barrack in which our protagonist, Aaron lives.

Author's Note:  This story is greatly inspired by the tale How the Summer Came, in the American Indian Fairy Tales Unit. In How the Summer Came, all the world is cursed to live in perpetual wintertime until the hero, O-jeeg, journeys to find the way to end the perpetual winter and breaks through the sky barrier, bringing warmth and beauty back into the world. Hopefully I do not give too much away, but O-jeeg sacrifices himself to provide a beautiful world for everyone else. In this first part of my story, we follow Aaron, representative of O-jeeg, as he journeys to discover the beautiful world outside of the dome, which represents the sky O-jeeg breaks through in How the Summer Came. One of my favorite books is George Orwell's 1984, and that is where I found inspiration for describing a different type of cold world in which our characters live. If you have not read 1984, I highly recommend it! It is a great book about bravery, love and tragedy, and it is set in a dystopian future (relative to the year that Orwell wrote the book). There is so much more that I want to write that I could not possibly fit into this week's story, so stay tuned!

Bibliography: Story based off of readings from American Indian Fairy Tales, found here. Specifically, How the Summer Came, found here.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, I wish your story is longer. Now, I have to wait until next week to read the next chapter. Your story is so captivating. I read through it without realize how fast I am reading. You ended at such climatic moment. Now, I keep wondering what Aaron is planning to do. How can he rescue other people? Will other people believe him? I am so excited for the continuation of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorpe,
    I can tell that you have written before and I liked how you captured the audience into reading it. This story is very detailed and I like how you are splitting it up. I don't like reading stories that are rushed because it is important to tell all the details so the reader gets a good feel for the setting and the characters. You did a great job with this and I can't wait to read what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! From the beginning, it reminded me a lot of something from The Hunger Games. You gave great descriptions about what the characters were thinking and feeling, which is always so important to stories. I like that you added a little suspense in your Author's Note....this definitely makes me want to come back and read more of your stories in the weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thorpe,
    I have never read the book 1984, but honestly after reading your story I am very much intrigued! You did a phenomenal job setting up a great storyline that could definitely have some follow up stories in its future. At first it sounded like you were modeling the story about the Divergent series but now that I know it is from a book by the great George Orwell I have even more respect for your story telling skills. I have to admit, the part where Aaron ran out into the other world and then turned around because he realized he had a greater duty to help the people of Carcera find out the truth about the outside world. It did strike me as odd that Aaron's first reaction was to flee for himself but I assume this is probably how any normal person would react upon first finding out the truth about the outside world. I can't wait to read the next part of this story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so you know… you forgot an E in week in your title! Your descriptions were really great and the way you used punctuation made it fun to read. I also think you did a great job utilizing dialog in this to create a relatable story. If you wanted to make it even more personable, you could change the story so it was in the first person. This opens the door to writing about how the main character is feeling or what they are thinking. The city reminds me of the Hunger Games a little bit. I think you could add some suspense in the story when he is walking down the passageway. Why didn’t he explore it a week ago? Also you could have him like stick his foot out into the outside world to test it. Overall though, I absolutely loved this story! I think the only thing you should add is more detail to the part where he is going through the tunnel to the outside. I think it could be really intense but now he doesn’t seem scared or worried that he would be caught. Great writing! I am excited to see more and to read the next section!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this story Thorpe! I thought you did a wonderful job taking inspiration from the original story, but then making it completely your own. You did a great job of creating suspense and making me want to read more. Once I got to the end I couldn't wait to see what happened next. It has been awhile since I have read 1984, but I think you did a great job incorporating aspects of that story and the society that it presents in your own story. The mash up between 1984 and the American Indian Fairy tale was definitely not something you would expect, but it 100% works. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a really fun story, Thorpe! I hope that you continue it in the weeks to come since you said you feel like you have more to write. It seems like there's a lot you could do with this world you've created. I love 1984, and I definitely saw its influence in this story. Do you like any of Orwell's other books? Animal Farm is my favorite. My one big critique is more stylistic than story-based: I think this might be easier to read if you broke up your paragraphs and added some space between them. I think this comes from being a CMP major and writing scripts all the time, and your writing is still good without it, but I think it would help make this fun story even more readable. I'm excited to see what else you add to your portfolio. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete